Volunteer Orientation Handbook
Advisor Position Description
Purpose: To guide a group of girls in the Girl Scout Program based on the Girl Scout Promise and Law; to help them build courage, confidence, and character to make the world a better place.
Appointment & Support: Reports to and supported by the Troop Organizer and/or Service Unit Manager II for an annual term. Reappointment is at the end of term and is determined by both parties.
- Complete learning opportunities for the position within three months of appointment.
- Attend quarterly service unit meetings, and distribute girl/parent information.
- Register girl and adult members in a timely manner.
- Guides girls in girl-led planning, cooperative learning experiences and evaluating activities based on the Girl Scout program appropriate to their interests, needs, and abilities.
- Schedule, prepare for, and attend troop meetings on a regular basis.
- Submit records and reports as needed by the Girl Scouts of Manitou Council.
- Keep parents informed of troop activities.
- Support and comply with the policies, standards and guidelines of Girl Scouts of the USA and Girl Scouts of Manitou Council.
- Accept the responsibility of consistent troop support.
- Subscribe to the mission of Girl Scouting and demonstrate this through Girl Scout membership.
Enjoyment of and interest in working with girls
- Willingness to support Girl Scouts in girl-led planning
- Organizational skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Delegation skills
- Communication skills
Service Unit Meetings for Advisors
Quarterly meetings held in your service unit provide excellent opportunities to learn from other volunteers, share ideas, network and provide you with vital information about upcoming activities and new resources. It is required that each troop is represented at these meetings. If you cannot attend the meeting yourself please make sure another volunteer or parent with your troop attends the meeting. Materials are only distributed during scheduled service unit meetings.
Service Unit: ______________________ Meeting Location: __________________________________________
Membership Kickoff________ Cookie Sale Kickoff________Camp Kickoff________ Year-End Wrap-Up________
<< Previous Contents Next >>